HomeSmartAXIS Controllers

Our newest micro PLCs tailored for low I/O controls but packed with abundant features.

Read/Write MODBUS Data to Touch Internal Registers Messages in this topic - RSS

rhinnotech
rhinnotech

12/18/2018
I'm working on having a SmartAXIS Touch communicate with an Allen-Bradley VFD (PowerFlex 523).

I'm new to the IDEC environment, but I think I have my configurations correct and have set a "Selector Switch" to set a bit in a "Holding Register" address that should send data to the VFD.

I need to get a bit more complex than that, so I need to be able to access the MODBUS addresses and data in ladder.

I don't know if "External Device Communication" is going to be the adequate setting, or if I need to get into "User Communication" and essentially write a driver to read/write registers into ladder from the VFD.

All of the videos on the "tutorials" page (http://us.idec.com/productsupport/VideoTutorials/video-tutorials-plc) are loading as blank pages for me. Probably because all the URL's have spaces in them. ::eyeroll::
0 link
Shane
Shane

12/18/2018
Do you have Adobe Flash Player enabled/allowed on your browser? The spaces in the link are not relevant. The link referenced should have %20 filling any blank space.
edited by Shane on 12/18/2018
0 link
rhinnotech
rhinnotech

12/18/2018
No, the spaces really shouldn't break anything, but it's still not good practice.

And requiring Flash? Another :eyeroll:

Just giving IDEC a hard time. wink

I suspected a script would be involved. I didn't know if it was going to be under a User Communication scenario or a global script.

Shortcut for others getting stuck at this point:

Set up a Global Script that sets a data register (#D) equal to your MODBUS register (for receiving). For sending, you would equate your MODBUS register to your data register.

For instance:

[10:HR 408192] = [#D 0100]; //Write Logic Commands to VFD
[10:HR 408193] = [#D 0101]; //Write Speed Reference to VFD (Units of 0.01 Hz)
[#D102] = [10:HR 408448]; //Read Logic Status from VFD
[#D103] = [10:HR 408449]; //Read VFD Error Codes (Decimal)

Repeat as necessary, changing the "10:" part to match the address of your slave device(s). The global script must be set to "Always Enabled" trigger type.
edited by rhinnotech on 12/18/2018
0 link
Shane
Shane

12/18/2018
There is another example of this in the thread below for one of my projects.

Click here
+2 link