HomeSmartRelay

Discussion for our SmartRelay controller.

Help wiring with limit switches. Messages in this topic - RSS

jamesbowers
jamesbowers

6/8/2019
I am trying to wire an automatic door for a chicken coop. The wiring should be simple but I just can't figure it out. I haven't decided what type of input device to use to activate the relay (timer or light sensor) but what I need it to do is alternate between opening and closing. I am using a reversable 12 vdc motor and power supply and I know I will need a limit switch at each end of travel. What I am not sure of is whether to use momentary limit switches or latching. Or how to wire the whole thing. I know this shouldn't be as hard as I am making it but my brain is mush. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
0 link
Shane
Shane

6/18/2019
Ultimately I would think it should be latching but that can be achieved via hardware or in the logic. For example, I have a project where we open a large shredder hopper lid with pneumatic plungers. The actuators have magnetic switches on the shaft that trigger when the shaft reaches a certain point on it's travel and we know the lid is up or down. If they are moving too fast it can go past the sensor and keep going potentially doing damage to the equipment. In the logic, as soon as I see a signal from that magnetic switch I latch a bit on and stop the movement. That way even if it passes the sensor too quickly I can stop the lid.
0 link