HomeMicroSmart FC6A

A powerful micro PLC with the features of a PAC making it an ideal fit for demanding applications.

Converting analog signal passive to active Messages in this topic - RSS

Huntxtrm
Huntxtrm

23 days ago
I have a machine that takes a 0-10vdc analog signal to control the heat on a weld head. It supplies its on loop through a Pot at the moment. I want to control it via FC6A analog output. Is there a converter to go from an active plc out to an active device input? So I can use my 4-20ma or 0-10v analog out on my plc to drive a converter that throttles the 0-10v on the machine?
0 link
Shane
Shane

23 days ago
I have done similar many times for devices that sound like what you are working on. Generally if you tie the grounds from each device together so they have the same ground, or 0V, reference, you can then send the +10VDC from the PLC directly to the weld head rather than from it's potentiometer, provided it doesn't require more amperage than the PLC can output.

Even with a separate signal conditioner you would have to tie the ground/0V from the conditioner and weld head together to make it work.
0 link
Huntxtrm
Huntxtrm

23 days ago
Hmmm. Interesting. Can you think of a way for me to test that, without actually hooking it to the weld controller? Its and expensive piece, it would be my ars if I fried it. lol, I do see what you are saying. That would definitely be easier than putting a voltage variable resistor or something between it.
0 link
Shane
Shane

23 days ago
Once you tie the grounds together to have the same reference the machine shouldn't care where the + voltage comes from. As far as the machine is concerned it should think it's still coming from the pot. If it were me I think I'd wire up my amp meter in series with the 10VDC output of the pot and make sure there was little, to no current. As long as it's low enough I'd go for it.

If you want me to have a closer look do you have any electrical drawings of the control circuit of the weld controller you can post?
0 link
Huntxtrm
Huntxtrm

17 days ago
Awesome! Thanks Shane. Al (with Idec)pretty much said the same thing. Gonna give it a shot. Once I get to that point, I will report my success.
0 link
Shane
Shane

10 days ago
Any report on the outcome?
0 link